Learning to Pay Attention

When was the last time you got lost? It’s frustrating, a time waster, and can stir up anxiety in the moment. But, what if the little mishaps that we go through are teaching us something greater?

The winding road that leads to the property was familiar, or so I thought. I never considered asking for directions.  I just jumped in the car and set out for my destination. No GPS, no written instructions, no address. Just me and my memory.

As I headed out towards the freeway, merging with the other sea of cars, I was confident that I was on track and would be at the women’s group I was speaking at right on time. But, before I knew it, things looked strangely unfamiliar and I soon realized that I had missed the off-ramp and the next one was a few cities away. Oh no! How did this happen? Lord, you know I need to be on time. What’s up with this? Well with the same familiar heart stirring I have heard many times before . . . I clearly heard, You were not paying attention. You may remember the way and know where you are going but if you are not paying attention you will get lost every time.

This is true in life. We can know where we are headed but we will get lost every time if we are not paying attention to God’s heart, God’s voice and God’s word in the moment.  I may know the verses to recite and sometimes even remember their address, but if I am not paying attention, I will still lose my way and not walk out the truths…in the moment.

Be an active listener

Paying attention is active listening, active watching, actively living in a moment by moment surrendered life. Looking for God’s lead, listening for his voice,moving to the sacred heartbeat as I make my way through an ordinary day. I would admit that a quick fix solution might seem easier. Can’t I just take one spiritual vitamin a day and be good to go? Yep that sounds easier. But in life it’s the small steps all along the journey that count and make a difference. There are no quick fixes, but instead there is a call to a focused life that not only brings us peace but keeps us on track and going the right direction.

“So be careful to do what the Lord your God has commanded you; do not turn aside to the right or to the left. Walk in all the way that the LORD your God has commanded you, so that you may live and prosper and prolong your days in the land that you will possess.” Deuteronomy 5:32

I have to pay attention if I am to walk in the way the Lord is commanding me for that day, that season, that hour.

Let’s dare ourselves to PAY ATTENTION to God’s promptings, God’s Word, God’s heart . . . today, in the moment. All of our moments make up our life and we will not get  as lost along the way if we will just learn the discipline or habit of paying attention.

Prayer of the day

Abba, what are you saying? Lord, what is your way in this situation? Father, what is a Word of Scripture that I can hold on to right now. Holy Spirit, make all things of God real and alive in my life as I choose moment by moment surrender to you.

About Debbie Alsdorf

Debbie Alsdorf is a popular author and speaker and the founder of Design4Living Ministries. Her life’s work is to strengthen women to stay true to the faith—to encourage them to live in the life-changing reality of God’s Word in their […]

Comments

1. hey friends, have a live blog on Logos Women's Blog.

2. hey friends, have a live blog on Logos Women's Blog.

3. Debbie Alsdorf says:

Hey friends, have a blog post live today on Logos Women's Blog. Share with your friends!

4. Debbie Alsdorf says:

5. Thank you for the reminder to pay attention. One of the things I like most about doing the 30 Day Faith Dare right now is this focused attention. I've learned to live in His Presence, listen to His direction and pay attention to His voice. This is so powerful that it needs to be a daily practice…thank you for teaching me that Debbie. #FaithDare

6. Thank you for the reminder to pay attention. One of the things I like most about doing the 30 Day Faith Dare right now is this focused attention. I've learned to live in His Presence, listen to His direction and pay attention to His voice. This is so powerful that it needs to be a daily practice…thank you for teaching me that Debbie. #FaithDare

7. Stasia Nielsen says:

This is so true. Thank you for being sensitive to the Holy Spirit in this timely word for today. God bless you richly!

8. Stasia Nielsen says:

9. Amen Amen Amen thankyou Debbie Alsdorffor this I so needed to hear this I often lose my way , I am learning to strive harder just because I don't want to disappoint God and when I get off of track it is such a mess. I will purposely set out to pay attention more now slow down and ask God and listen for Him.

10. Rebbie Lee says:

Thank you for making me take a step back and consider all I am doing/focusing on. Only then can God's ways and God's timing becomes mine.

11. Thank you Debbie…for all you do. You are an inspiration to me and I thank God every day that our paths crossed! The Faith Dare is such a blessing at this time in my life, it is teaching me things about my inner self that I didn't acknowledge before, it's very cleansing and I just love it! God is SO Good <3.

12. Thanks for the reminder, focus, focus focus 🙂 #FaithDare.

13. Bless you sister! Hope you are doing OK!

14. Birdie Cutair says:

all too familiar. When I don't pay attention, I get lost – lost in my own thoughts, lost in my own self. Yes, Lord, I need to pay attention to you today. Thanks, Debbie.

15. Mary Beth Floyd says:

This was beautiful, Debbie, and I needed the reminder. I am daring today to practice being an active listener! #FaithDare

16. Oh how I love this: "But in life it's the small steps all along the journey that count and make a difference." Sometimes we're so worried about the big things, the huge life decisions and we're seeking His will for that—-but it really is all about the tiny steps of faithfulness and obedience and trusting Him to guide us moment by moment! Looking too far ahead can be the same as not paying attention for me! Thanks for sharing!

17. Learning to pay attention for me also means setting aside my agenda, all the things I may feel I need to get done in a day so that I can be more aware of those things, those people that God wants me to do and minister to in a day. It is very easy to get hung up on my own schedule but lose the rewards of following His schedule. A good reminder to always be sensitive to the Lord's leading!

18. Trust in the Lord and lean on my own understanding, thank you for this revival. I had a recent experience and learnt the hard way to surrender moment by moment!