“What do you need for Christmas?” Do you get asked this question? What’s your answer? Here are four gifts you can actually give yourself. They won’t cost you anything but they will fill you with Christmas joy!
1. Consider saying no certain commitments:
- Too many events — choose one or two and enjoy others next year
- Too many invitations
- Too much food, drink
- Too much debt
- Spending too much time doing things to impress or please others
2. Eliminate pressure:
- Invite others to bring a treat or dish to share — don’t do it all.
- Organize extended-family gift-giving. Give to one person, not ten!
- Check your card list. Send greetings to people who truly matter to you.
- Give yourself permission to quit a tradition if you have no time or energy.
3. Luxuriate in time for yourself:
- Take a long, hot, bubble-bath by candle light accompanied by your favorite music.
- Go for a slow walk admiring the Christmas lights and twinkling trees in windows.
- Sing or play Christmas carols that celebrate the gift of God, His Son Jesus.
- Sit by your tree, enjoy scented candles, and read the Word for an hour.
4. Focus on Jesus:
- Read the Christmas story to yourself or a child. Make it come alive. Be in awe.
- Spend time writing down all the blessings you have because Jesus came.
- Sing — by yourself, or with others. Raise your voices. Rejoice in His love.
- Help children act out the Christmas story. Dress them up. Let them have fun and experience the wonder of that first Christ-filled day.
I get overwhelmed easily when I have too much to do but I’ve found that saying “NO” is a powerful help in keeping my focus on the reason for the season. I hope these four gifts you can give yourself help you experience the special wonder and deep joy of Christmas.